Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Memories from yesterday...

Both of my grandma's birthday's were in the month of March... My sister, Jennifer, posted a special "memory post" about them on her blog today, and it got me to thinking... She said it beautifully so I included the link to her blog. However, I thought I would add a few thoughts and memories of my own of both of these special ladies...

http://joyeverafter.blogspot.com/2010/03/lessons-learned-from-my-grandmothers.html

Growing up, I had the privelege of living near both sets of my grandparents. I have many fond memories of both of them, however, I'm going to pick out a few that stand out in my mind today...
I remember going over to my grandma's house and laying across her bed with her while she tried to nap. I was yound and didn't want to take a nap of course, so to avoid it, I would say, "Grandma, tell me a story." So, she would... However, one day she decided to switch things up on me a little bit, and said, "No, you tell me a story..." Clever as she was, she knew if I was doing the story telling, she could nap, like she intended in the first place! :0) I soon became wise to this ploy, and in the middle of my story I stopped and tried to pry her eyes open to see if she was really sleeping! Poor grandma! She took it all patiently...
Another day, while I was over there, she told me to go pull out the checker board and she would play a game with me... so, I went and got the board, thinking I was sure to win since grandma was nearly blind...but boy was I in for a shock when she beat me! :0) I decided I didn't want to play checkers with her anymore after that... ;0)
The week right before she died, we were all concerned over my grandpa's failing health at the time, including her! She always had more concern over other's than for herself... I spent some precious moments with her that week that I will never regret or forget...

Gram was an independant little thing...she lived alone after my grandpa's death; and even bought herself a little deringer! (Much to everyone's chagrin!) LOL Right before I went to college, she began to tease about remarrying... so when it came to the point where my own relationship with my (now) husband, was getting serious, we teased about having a double wedding...little did we know at the time that we would never have the opportunity to even think about it...
Gram had a cockatiel bird that was her pride and joy. She shocked everyone by letting it fly around the house because she was always such a neat housekeeper! I grinned the other day when I found a bird feather in my house that had come out from the couch that once belonged to her; and now is in my own living room.
I was on a missions trip to Mexico when Gram passed away...when I heard the news it was quite a shock to me... She was only sick for such a short time that I hadn't really had time to come to terms with it...none of us had really.

Even though neither of my grandma's were alive to attend my wedding in May of 2008, somehow I think they were able to look down and be there... I know that I definately had both of their blessings! They both were certain I should marry Luke before I was! ;0)

I love you Gram and Grandma!! You were two truly special ladies!!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing, Sis! And for the link. The bird feather is hilarious! And I never heard the checkers story. So glad you decided to share some memories.