Friday, November 25, 2011

How We Celebrate Thanksgiving


Since we live so far away from family, we never celebrate any holiday in our own home. However, SINCE we're alone most of the year, we enjoy this time away surrounded by our favorite people! :0) Our Celebration varies from year to year as to the actual events, however there is ALWAYS a common denominator: The BIG Thanksgiving meal! We, like most families, have our favorites that HAVE to be a part of the Thanksgiving dinner each year. For example, my mom makes the BEST Sweet Potato Casserole; my sister usually brings her delectable Cranberry Salad (not your typical stuff...); and since I am the Pumpkin lover of the family,my contribution usually is a Pumpkin Cheesecake or some other dessert made of that wonderful "orange stuff". Of course, that is not ALL that we eat, but those are some of the dishes that make things so extra special.

When it is the year to have Thanksgiving at my in-laws, things are done a little differently. We usually have the meal at my husband's Aunts house where there is enough food prepared and brought in to feed the neighborhood (and in fact, HAS been shared once the festivities were over)! I'll never forget my first Thanksgiving there...his aunt (always afraid there won't be enough food) prepared 3 whole Turkeys, AND a ham, just in case someone didn't care for Turkey... Needless to say, nobody went hungry that year... :0)

After stuffing ourselves silly, we spend time together laughing, sharing, and playing games. This is the main thing that I'm thankful for at this time of year- spending time together with the people I love most, my family!

*For other blogs on this topic visit... JoyEverAfter

1 comment:

Judy @ Contented at Home said...

I LOVE pumpkin, too! Pumpkin pies, pumpkin cake roll, pumpkin dump cake, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins . . . maybe we need to start a recipe series! :-)
And LOL at the 3 turkeys!!! (Although maybe I shouldn't laugh too much, because our turkey was nearly 23 pounds, and there is not much left at all!)