Thursday, July 30, 2009

Puttin' on the Grits-Southern Style!

Since I've been a pastor's wife, I have done quite a bit of entertaining (probably not half of what I should, but as much as possible with the budget...). I am always looking for quick, easy, and DELICIOUS recipes that I can use for revivals or other entertaining moments in my life... Recently (as in the last 3 months), I was reading a book called "Puttin' on the Grits- A guide to Southern Entertaining" by Deborah Ford, and came across this recipe. It's SUPER EASY and WONDERFULLY DELICIOUS! At least we thought so... First of all, I want to say, I would recommend this book for you to read if you do any entertaining whatsoever. It is funny, informative, and an overall good read. However, I don't appreciate everything in the book, but you can easily overlook the parts about cocktail parties etc... :0)

Anyhow, below is a picture of the Apple Cobbler that I found in this book... as you can see, it was already sampled by the time I took this picture...LOL Another thing I really liked about it was that it only had a few ingredients--and most of them were things you would already have in your cupboards for a last minute "whip up"! :0) The actual name of this recipe is " Mama Liz's Shortcut Cobbler"...here are the ingredients... 1 stick of butter, 1 C flour, 1 C Sugar, 1 C milk, and one can of your favorite fruit! You just melt the butter. Add the flour, sugar and milk and mix it all up good! Pour mix into a casserole dish. Pour the fruit over the mixture and bake at 350 degrees until it looks done! Approx 20-30 ,minutes if I remember correctly... Hope you enjoy! We sure did! :0)



1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Mmm! I have some fresh peaches. Can I use fresh or does it have to be canned? Looks delicious and Jessica LOVES peach cobbler. (not that I mind it much, either! :-)